The Animatrix (2003) +
The Matrix Revisited
The Matrix Reloaded
What is the Matrix?
Matrix writer-directors Larry and Andy Wachowski commissioned seven artists from Japan, America and Korea to make nine short films set in the world of their feature trilogy. Some of the top anime directors contributed to this anthology, including Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll), Koji Morimoto (Robot Carnival), and Shinchiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop). Some of the films tie directly into the narrative of the live-action movies. Drawn in a style reminiscent of Jean "Moebius" Giraud, Mahiro Maeda's The Second Renaissance (Part I & Part II) depicts the human-machine wars that caused the enslavement of humanity and the creation of the Matrix. The duel between two flamboyantly costumed Kabuki warriors in Kawajiri's Program is an expanded version of the cybernetic training Neo (Keanu Reeves) undergoes in the first
film. Watanabe evokes the look of old newspaper photographs in A Detective Story, which falls outside the storyline of the features.
my Review for The Matrix: Reloaded!
- "Scrolls to Screen: The History and Culture of Anime" documentary
- 7 featurettes with director profiles, interviews and behind-the-scenes footage of each of the films.
- 4 audio commentaries
- "Enter the Matrix" videogame trailer
- Widescreen anamorphic format
- Episodes: "Final Flight of the Osiris",
"The Second Renaissance, Part 1 and 2", "Kid's Story", "Program", "World Record",
"Beyond", "A Detective Story", "Matriculated"
- Final Flight of the Osiris- The crew of the Osiris, a sister ship to the Nebuchadezzar, is pulled out of a training simulation to discover immense danger has surrounded them. But the danger is still not too close, not as close as another danger, one they have discovered that has taken aim elsewhere. But now the crew has to get word to those in danger, to warn them of what is ahead, all while dealing with problems of their own. Can they outrace the sentinels and deliver the warning in time, or will two fronts fall victim to attacks?
- The Second Renaissance Parts 1 & 2- The presence of robots was first found when mankind sought to replace human laborers, but as time passed, the machines would assume control and soon replace mankind as the world's keepers. In these shorts, you'll see how the machines developed self awareness and enhanced artificial intelligence, the two elements that drove them to overtake mankind and enslave them. The revolution begins and as the war rages on, the fate of the world hangs in the balance...
- Kid's Story- A high school student finds himself tracked by the authorities, after he finds the wrong person in a chat room. When he isn't out on his skateboard, the young man is found on his computer, talking to all kinds of folks on-line. But when the talks enlighten the boy's mind about his own existence, it draws the attention of the authorities. But can he learn the truth in time and use it to escape the bonds of The Matrix?
- Program- A pair of samurai warriors are engaged in a fierce battle, one a man and the other a woman. The two charge each other one horseback, with pikes drawn, but also clash with swords on the ground. The battle is intense, as both are great warriors and skilled with the swords, but one has to fall at some point. As they levitate, leap massive distances, and flash fight techniques that dazzle, the two warriors provide a stunning conflict. But who are these two fighters and what has driven them to this point?
- World Record- A track star seeks to win at whatever cost, but his use of banned substances led to his disqualification. In that race, he shattered the world record, but thanks to his drug use, it was thrown out. This time, he is on the level and more motivated than ever before to win, which puts him in a stressful situation. As he runs, he pushes himself to levels he's never reached before and despite setbacks, he is convinced he cannot lose. Even as his body breaks down under the stress of his intense run, his mind finds an alternate reality, one which allows him to continue. But can he win the race and if so, at what cost?
- Beyond- As she searches for her missing cat, a young woman stumbles upon an abandon building with a large courtyard. A group of children happen to be there, playing in the area and having a good time doing so. But the woman notices something strange about the place, as some of the basic laws of existence seem to vanish there. The elements of gravity and time seem to fade out in the lot, which allows for some unusual actions. But if such a place exists, how long will it take the authorities to correct the glitches in the system?
- A Detective Story- Ash is a private detective, but as of late, his work has been sparse and times are tough on the gumshoe. So when he gets a case that involves tracking down a hacker, he accepts without hesitation. But the hacker in his sights is Trinity, which means he is in for more trouble than he knows. His skills in detection are formidable however, so he uses all of his resources and tries to hunt down the hacker. But can he manage to find her and if so, what would come of the encounter?
- Matriculated- As machines have enslaved most of mankind, some people resent them, but in order to survive, man needs machines. So some members of the resistance attempt to alter some machines, to have them be productive, instead of destructive. The process involves condition of the machines, which causes them to reverse their line of
thought, so that people are looked upon as friends, instead of mortal enemies. But even with such noble intentions, will the experiment produce results, or simply more carnage?